lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Qi Li <aler...@gmail.com>
Subject questions regarding index boost vs search boost for multivalued fields
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2010 02:11:46 GMT
Here is my index structure.
 for each document:
      Field   articleTitle     (only one value)
      Field   majorHeading    (multiple values)
      Field   minorHeading     (multiple values)

I use heading (can be both majorHeadings or minorHeadings) to search.  What
I want is that majorHeading is more important than minorHeading.  I can
boost the majorHeading during index in two ways
      method 1:    for every major field of the same document,
field.setBoost(2f)
      method 2:    only the first major field of the same document,
field.setBoost(2f)

Looks like both ways give me the correct result.
Questions 1 :  What is the difference between boosting only the first field
or boosting all fields for a multivalued field?

In addition, I can also boost the majorHeading during searching if I choose
not to boost in index time
Question 2    What is the trade-off between index boost and search boost?

I will appreciate your help a lot.

Best regards,
Qi Li