lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From dc tech <dctech1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: creating tag cloud (with faceted search?) for search result (filter)
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:34:50 GMT
I assume that you are
- building your own UI
- and have some specific fields you want to show in a tag cloud?

A generic tag cloud of all terms will not be very helpful as all the
common words will dominate the tag cloud. What you want is to use some
specific fields ie metadata for generating the tag cloud.

One approach is to take all the interesting fields, get facets for
them (solr does this out of the box), combine and then generate the
tag cloud. Alternatively, you can create a megafield and use that for
faceting directly. On click, you then issue a simple filter query.

On 8/2/10, ArminS <mfrickde@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I did some extensive research over the last days, also searched the threads
> in this forum (big compliment to the users helping here!) about creating a
> tag cloud of the search result(s). But I still couln't find something
> satisfying me yet...
>
> Background:
>
> I have lots of user text comments (unstructured) stored in the database,
> collected over a website as feedback.
> My goal is, first to make this amount of data searchable/filterable with
> good performance and then I want to create a tag cloud of the results after
> searching for a single term, so that I can use the tag cloud then for
> iterative search refinement by clicking on one term (for filtering again) in
> the cloud! No discussion about the tag cloud decision please :) Focus is on
> single terms/tags mainly, no phrases.
>
> Lets imagine doing a search/filter with the word "performance":
>
> - while showing the results, a tag cloud should be generated with all the
> terms connected to those text comments, in which "performance" appears.
> - when I click on a word in this tagcloud, it should do the same again for
> this selected word etc.
> => have the "corpus" filtered in a visualized way as a tag cloud
>
> Actually it goes in this direction ("Drill Clouds"):
> http://lab.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cistilabswiki/index.php/Ungava
>
> Now my questions on that:
>
> Do I need Solr (because of the faceted search feature) or is it also
> possible with lucene only?
> If Solr - which steps are neccessary to do a faceted search/navigation as a
> tag cloud?
> I know it has something to do with "term vectors", right?
> If it's not possible to realise it 100%, no worries, just let me know, how
> far I can go.
>
> Please don't be too informatic in the first place, as I'm not a developer :)
>
> Glad for any help of you guys!
>
> Markus
>

> Related threads to this:
>
> http://bit.ly/94y97g