lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nader, John P" <john.na...@cengage.com>
Subject Problems with Lucene 3.0.2 and Java 1.6.0_12
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 02:48:43 GMT

This is a follow up related to my original post Term browsing performance problems with our
upgrade to Lucene 3.0.2.  The suggestions were helpful and did give us a performance increase.
 However, in a full scale environment under load our performance issue remained a problem.

Our investigation lead us to an issue with our patch level of Java.  This is not too surprising
considering we were on revision 12, and the current is 21.  The behavior we saw was that some
JVMs would come up in a state where browsing ran very slowly, while others would run as expected.
 The JVM would stay in that state until it was restarted.

The only change we made was to upgrade our JVM to 1.6.0_21.  At that point, all JVMs performed
consistently with no issues.  I wanted to make sure I share this info with the forum as others
may encounter similar problems.

I have no specific info about what changed between 3.0.2 from 2.4.0 that would cause an issue
with Java 1.6.0_12.  Nor do any Java release notes indicate what might have been fixed to
address this issue.  I strongly suspect that it is JIT compiler related and would be glad
to share thoughts on this with anyone that is interested.

-John

-----Original Message-----
From: Nader, John P [mailto:john.nader@cengage.com]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 3:17 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: Term browsing much slower in Lucene 3.x.x

Mike,

We took your suggestion and refactored like this:

 TermEnum termEnum = indexReader.terms(new Term(field, "0"));
 TermDocs allTermDocs = indexReader.termDocs();

 while(termEnum.next() && termEnum.term().field().equals(field) {
   allTermsDocs.seek(termEnum);
   while(allTermDocs.next()) {
	...doo something to each doc...
   }
 }

The results were much better than creating a new TermDocs for each term.  We were about 6x
faster than the old algorithm in Lucene 3.0.2, and 3x faster than the old algorithm in Lucene
2.4.0.

Thanks much for your help.

With respect to a 3.0.2 enhancement that would yield the same performance without using different
APIs, I'm not sure what the impact would be.  We definitely have proven the synchronization
had a dramatic impact in our environment.  But the synchronization in the constructor looks
like it is necessary in other API calls.

BTW, that environment is Java 1.6.0_12 on 64-bit SUSE Linux with 32G of RAM and using MMapDirectory.

Thanks.

-John