lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: Blocking on IndexSearcher search
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:27:35 GMT
Uwe Schindler wrote:
> That lock contention is fine there as this is the central point where all IO
> is done. This does not mean that only one query is running in parallel, the
> queries are still running in parallel. But there is one place where all IO
> is waiting for one file descriptor. This is not different with multiple
> IndexSearchers. YourKit simply shows this place as it has most contention.
>
> You are using Windows? On Linux it should use NIO automatically
> (FSDir.open() uses platform specific defaults). You can also improve speed
> and play with e.g. MMapDirectory on 64 bit platforms. Or try out how NIO
> works on your platform.

Im using Windows and I'll try NIO, good idea, my app is already memory
hungry in other areas so I guess MMapped is a no go, doe sit use heap or
perm memory ?

I understand the lock on I/O point but what was concerning me is in the
of milliseconds. I actually refactored my code to make it multithreaded
specifically tfor his bit of code becaue alot of searches was necessary,
and the elapsed time is faster than using a single thread but not as
fast as Id hoped.

Paul