lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From manjula wijewickrema <manjul...@gmail.com>
Subject Why not normalization?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 03:43:45 GMT
Hi,

In my application, I input only one index file and enter only single term
query to check the lucene score. I used explain method to see the way of
obtaining results and system gave me the result as product of tf, idf,
fieldNorm.

1) Although Lucene uses tf to calculate scoring it seems to me that term
frequency has not been normalized. Even if I index several documents, it
does not normalize tf value. Therefore, since the total number of words
in index documents are varied, can't there be a fault in Lucene's scoring?

2) What is the formula to calculate this fieldNorm value?

If somebody can pls. help me.

Thnks in advance
Manjula.