lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Igor Chudov <ichu...@gmail.com>
Subject Personal Intro and a question on "find top 10 similar items" functionality
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 22:12:37 GMT
Hello,

My name is Igor and I own a website algebra.com. I just joined.

I have a database of answered algebra questions (208,000 and growing).

A typical question is here (original spelling):

``who long does it take 2 people to finish painting a house if the
first one takes 6 days and the second one takes 9 days''

What I would like to do is, for anyone viewing a archived problem, to
find "top 10 similar problems" that would be most "similar" to the
currently viewed query. Note that meaning of similar is not defined in
my question.

Is Lucene even capable of this sort of thing?

Could I expect reasonable performance (under 1-2 seconds) from it?

thanks a bunch guys.