lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From manjula wijewickrema <manjul...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene Scoring
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:02:55 GMT
Hi,

In my application, I input only single term query (at one time) and get back
the corresponding scorings for those queries. But I am little struggling of
understanding Lucene scoring. I have reffered
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/search/Similarity.html
and
some other pages to resolve my matters. But some are still remain.

1) Why it has taken the squareroot of frequency as the tf value and square
of the idf vale in score function?

2) If I enter single term query, then what will return bythe coord(q,d)?
Since there are always one term in the query, I think always it should be 1!
Am I correct?

3) I am also struggling understanding sumOfSquaredWeights (in queryNorm(q)).
As I can understand, this value depends on the nature of the query we input
and depends on that, it uses different methods such as TermQuery,
MultiTermQuery, BooleanQuery, WildcardQuery, PhraseQuery, PrefixQuery, etc.
But if I always use single term query, then what will be the way selected by
the system from above?

If somebody can pls. help me to resolve these problems. Appreciate any reply
from you.

Regards,
Manjula