lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki>
Subject Re: Adding a new field to existing Index
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:57:17 GMT
On 2010-07-07 14:49, Naveen Kumar wrote:
> Hi Andrzej Bialecki
> When you suggested -
>      "There are some other low-level ways to do this, but the easiest is to
>        use a FilterIndexReader, especially since you just want to add a
> stored
>        field - implement a subclass of FilterIndexReader that adds a new
> field
>        in getFieldNames() and document(int). Then use
>        IndexWriter.addIndexes(IndexReader[]) to create the output index."
> I believe you assumed that all the existing fields are stored. I have a few
> fields which are only indexed, not stored. Is there a way to add a new
> Field(stored, not indexed) to document in such an index, without reindexing
> the whole index.
> Any suggestions will be very helpful!

Unfortunately no - my previous advice still applies:

>>> I would also like to know, if data or term vector, of a field
>>> indexed without storing, can somehow be retrieved. This would enable
>>> a work around solution to my problem.
>> Not really, and the re-construction is very costly. Indexing is a lossy
>> process, so not all content can be recovered. See the "Reconstruct&
>> Edit" functionality in Luke (

At this point it will be less costly to reindex.

Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><
___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System Integration  Contact: info at sigram dot com

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message