lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: arguments in favour of lucene over commercial competition
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:41:10 GMT
Otis's comments reminded me of one of the astonishing things
I've seen in the Lucene/SOLR ecosystem; I've seen issues
reported, commented on, fixed, and patches made available
*for free* in a matter of hours.

Of course, you have to be willing to use a patched version, but
it sure beats waiting six months for the commercial vendor
to get around to including it in the next release. If they think it's
important enough. Unless you bribe them.

And if you really feel the need to bribe someone, there are
Lucene/SOLR support companies that you
can hire for a very reasonable fee if you don't want to add a
feature yourself. When you need them rather than up-front.

Do note one thing. Open Source software is, IMO,
hit-or-miss. Not all open source projects are created equal, and
just because something's "open source" does not mean it's of
great quality. I happen to think that Lucene/SOLR is in the very
top percentile of quality and active development FWIW. Subscribe
to the dev list to see just how active development is.

Of course the quality of commercial products also varies widely,
but you can't see the source (it's proprietary, dont'cha know) to
judge for yourself.

Have a look at the continuous build. Look at the code coverage
of the unit tests. Ask vendor X to provide equivalent data. Be
ready for BS as a response. Don't accept it.

In my initial foray into Lucene several years ago, by the time
I'd sent a support request to the vendor of a commercial product
and received an answer telling me that I hadn't included the
correct license info and I'd have to provide it before they could
talk to me, I'd found Lucene, downloaded it, indexed
some of our data and run searches against it. Not to mention
that rather than waiting for days to get a response from the
commercial vendor, my questions on the Lucene user's list were
answered within a very few hours. With grace and tolerance
for my ignorance. *For free*.

Hmmmm, can you tell I'm somewhat of an enthusiast? <G>...
Disclosure: No, I don't work for any company that offers
support for SOLR/Lucene, no matter how much it may
sound like it <G>....

Best
Erick