lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Naama Kraus <naamakr...@gmail.com>
Subject Long queries evaluation
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:41:08 GMT
Hi All,

I have several questions with regard to long queries evaluation. I'd
appreciate your input.
In case this issue is documented somewhere, I'd be glad for any pointers.

How does long queries effect search performance ? E.g. a search query
composed of few tens of term ? Few hundreds of terms ? (Generated
programmatic-ally).
Does Lucene really walks through posting lists of **all** terms  in query
("SHOULD" occur is used) ? Or Lucene has a policy of pruning some of the
terms ?
Or maybe Lucene prunes some of the candidate documents upfront ? If so,
what's the policy used ?

(I am using Lucene 3).

Thanks, Naama