lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jm <jmugur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: arguments in favour of lucene over commercial competition
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:53:38 GMT
thanks Grant, great pointers! With these and other previous replies I
think I'm good to write up a good case for lucene. I'll look for perf
numbers over releases (but I don't have the time to create those
numbers from scratch unfortunately).

regards,
javier

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi JM,
>
> On Jun 23, 2010, at 4:01 AM, jm wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to compile some arguments in favour of lucene as
>> management is deciding weather to standardize on lucene or a competing
>> commercial product (we have a couple of produc, one using lucene,
>> another using commercial product, imagine what am i using). I searched
>> the lists but could not find any post, although I remember seeing such
>> posts in the past.
>>
>> Does somebody kept such posts linked or something? Or does someone
>> know of some page that would help me?
>>
>> I would like to show:
>> - traction of lucene, really improving a lot last couple of years
>
> I'd venture to say it is the most used search library in the world, but I can't back
it up w/ real numbers, unfortunately, at this point; but it is based on the fact that not
only is it widely deployed via Solr/Nutch and in custom implementations, but several of the
large commercial players use it as well so anytime you buy them, you are buying Lucene as
well.

> Some actual numbers: the Open Source Census has it at #8: https://www.osscensus.org/summary-report-public.php
in a list of most popular open source projects

>> - rich ecosystem (solr...)
>
> Tika, Mahout, Nutch, UIMA, etc. all fit nicely into this ecosystem.  There are also
a lot of non-ASF projects that work in as well.

>> - references of other companies choosing lucene/solr over commercial
>> (be it Fast or whatever)
>
> We have a lot of case studies over at http://www.lucidimagination.com/, including several
that highlight replacements of the commercial players.