lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: indexWriter.addIndexes, Disk space, and open files
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:52:07 GMT
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Regan Heath
<regan.heath@bridgeheadsoftware.com> wrote:

> That's pretty much exactly what I suspected was happening.  I've had the same
> problem myself on another occasion... out of interest is there any way to
> force the file closed without flushing?

No, IndexOutput has no such method.  We could consider adding one...

> From memory I tried everything I
> could think of at the time but couldn't manage it.  Best I could do was
> catch and swallow the expected exception from close and carry on.

I think that's the best to do w/ today's API; but, you should save the
first IOE you hit, then force close the remaining files, then throw
that IOE.

> So, the only option for us is to upgrade the version of lucene we're using
> to the current trunk?  Is there no existing stable release version
> containing the fix?  If not, when do you estimate the next stable release
> with the fix will be available?

I don't think any release of Lucene will have fixed all of these
cases, yet.  Patches welcome :)

Actually, the best fix is something Earwin created but is not yet
committed (nor in a patch yet, I think), which adds a nice API for
closing multiple IndexOutputs safely.  Earwin, maybe you could pull
out just this part of your patch and open a separate issue?  Then we
can fix all places in Lucene that need to close multiple IndexOutputs
to use this API.

Mike