lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jm <jmugur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: arguments in favour of lucene over commercial competition
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:07:41 GMT
thanks guys, those links are cool. I welcome any other positive thing
anyone can add. Specially references of products/sites moving to
lucene/solr

javier

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lucene/Solr choice typically means:
>
> * lower cost of ownership (think about various crazy licensing models some of the commercial
search vendors have: per doc, per server, per query, per year....)

> * faster implementation (just think about the duration of the sales/negotiation phase
for commercial search vendors)

> * flexibility -- it's open source, you can change whatever you want.  Try that with
closed-source commercial search vendor's package.

everyone's using some form of Lucene -- see http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/PoweredBy ,
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers