lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: arguments in favour of lucene over commercial competition
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 05:43:11 GMT
Coincidentally, just after I replied to this thread I received an email from one of our customers.
 In that email was a quote from one of the commercial search vendors.  My jaw didn't drop
because I've seen similar numbers from other commercial search vendors before, but.... I won't
mention the customer nor the vendor, but I can tell you that the amount could put a couple
of kids through a top-notch private college in the U.S.  Talking about TOC reduction through
use of open-source!
 Otis
----
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch
Lucene ecosystem search :: http://search-lucene.com/



----- Original Message ----
> From: jm <jmuguruza@gmail.com>
> To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
> Sent: Wed, June 23, 2010 5:57:32 PM
> Subject: Re: arguments in favour of lucene over commercial competition
> 
> yes, in my case the competition is one of the list...

On Wed, Jun 23, 
> 2010 at 11:41 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<
> ymailto="mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com" 
> href="mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com">otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> 
> wrote:
> Off the top of my head:
>
> FAST
> 
> Endeca
> Coveo
> Attivio
> Vivisimo
> Google Search 
> Appliance
> (tell me when to stop)
> Dieselpoint
> IBM 
> OmniFind
> Exalead
> Autonomy
> dtSearch
> ISYS
> 
> Oracle
> ...
> ...
>
>  Otis
> ----
> 
> Sematext :: 
> >http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch
> Lucene ecosystem 
> search :: 
> >http://search-lucene.com/
>
>
>
> ----- Original 
> Message ----
>> From: Hans Merkl <
> ymailto="mailto:hmerkl@rightonpoint.us" 
> href="mailto:hmerkl@rightonpoint.us">hmerkl@rightonpoint.us>
>> 
> To: java-user <
> href="mailto:java-user@lucene.apache.org">java-user@lucene.apache.org>
>> 
> Sent: Wed, June 23, 2010 5:15:46 PM
>> Subject: Re: arguments in favour 
> of lucene over commercial competition
>>
>> Just curious. What 
> commercial alternatives are out there?
>
> On Wed, Jun 
> 23,
>> 2010 at 04:01, jm <
>> href="mailto:
> ymailto="mailto:jmuguruza@gmail.com" 
> href="mailto:jmuguruza@gmail.com">jmuguruza@gmail.com">
> ymailto="mailto:jmuguruza@gmail.com" 
> href="mailto:jmuguruza@gmail.com">jmuguruza@gmail.com> 
> wrote:
>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying 
> to compile some arguments in favour of lucene
>> as
>> 
> management is deciding weather to standardize on lucene or a
>> 
> competing
>> commercial product (we have a couple of produc, one 
> using
>> lucene,
>> another using commercial product, imagine 
> what am i using). I
>> searched
>> the lists but could not 
> find any post, although I remember
>> seeing such
>> posts in 
> the past.
>>
>> Does somebody kept such
>> posts 
> linked or something? Or does someone
>> know of some page that 
> would
>> help me?
>>
>> I would like to 
> show:
>> - traction of lucene,
>> really improving a lot last 
> couple of years
>> - rich ecosystem
>> (solr...)
>> - 
> references of other companies choosing lucene/solr over
>> 
> commercial
>> (be it Fast or 
> whatever)
>>
>>
>> 
> thanks
>>
>>
>> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
> To
>> unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> href="mailto:
> ymailto="mailto:java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org" 
> href="mailto:java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org">java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org">
> ymailto="mailto:java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org" 
> href="mailto:java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org">java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>
>> 
> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> ymailto="mailto:
> ymailto="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org" 
> href="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org">java-user-help@lucene.apache.org"
>> 
> href="mailto:
> href="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org">java-user-help@lucene.apache.org">
> ymailto="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org" 
> href="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org">java-user-help@lucene.apache.org
>>
>>
>
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To 
> unsubscribe, e-mail: 
> href="mailto:java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org">java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
> 
> For additional commands, e-mail: 
> ymailto="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org" 
> href="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org">java-user-help@lucene.apache.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To 
> unsubscribe, e-mail: 
> href="mailto:java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org">java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For 
> additional commands, e-mail: 
> ymailto="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org" 
> href="mailto:java-user-help@lucene.apache.org">java-user-help@lucene.apache.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message