lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: arguments in favour of lucene over commercial competition
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:49:17 GMT
Lucene/Solr choice typically means:

* lower cost of ownership (think about various crazy licensing models some of the commercial
search vendors have: per doc, per server, per query, per year....)

* faster implementation (just think about the duration of the sales/negotiation phase for
commercial search vendors)

* flexibility -- it's open source, you can change whatever you want.  Try that with closed-source
commercial search vendor's package.

* super fast and knowledgeable community  -- see http://www.jroller.com/otis/entry/lucene_solr_nutch_amazing_tech

* commercial support and experts still available -- see http://www.sematext.com/services/index.html

* adoption - small companies, medium companies, HUGE companies, secret organizations, everyone's
using some form of Lucene -- see http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/PoweredBy , http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers

* maturity - Lucene is over 10 years old.  Solr is over 4 years old.

* future - look at JIRA, look at mailing list traffic, look at pace of development, look at
CHANGES.txt

* ...

Otis
----