lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From fujian <fujian.z.y...@nokia.com>
Subject why lucene loads field value for every doc (not only the matched docs) when doing sort?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:46:33 GMT

Hello,

I'm using lucene 2.9.0 and ran into OutOfMemory error when doing a search
with sort on a big index. After a bit research, I found that when doing sort
lucene loads the field value for all docs in the index into memory, not the
matched ones only.

Just wondering why this? maybe for the performance? Is there a way to avoid
this? I mean maybe lucene should give users another option not to load
values for all docs.

Thanks,
-Fujian