lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: arguments in favour of lucene over commercial competition
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:27:26 GMT
Hi JM,

On Jun 23, 2010, at 4:01 AM, jm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile some arguments in favour of lucene as
> management is deciding weather to standardize on lucene or a competing
> commercial product (we have a couple of produc, one using lucene,
> another using commercial product, imagine what am i using). I searched
> the lists but could not find any post, although I remember seeing such
> posts in the past.
>
> Does somebody kept such posts linked or something? Or does someone
> know of some page that would help me?
>
> I would like to show:
> - traction of lucene, really improving a lot last couple of years

I'd venture to say it is the most used search library in the world, but I can't back it up
w/ real numbers, unfortunately, at this point; but it is based on the fact that not only is
it widely deployed via Solr/Nutch and in custom implementations, but several of the large
commercial players use it as well so anytime you buy them, you are buying Lucene as well.

Some actual numbers: the Open Source Census has it at #8: https://www.osscensus.org/summary-report-public.php
in a list of most popular open source projects

> - rich ecosystem (solr...)

Tika, Mahout, Nutch, UIMA, etc. all fit nicely into this ecosystem.  There are also a lot
of non-ASF projects that work in as well.

> - references of other companies choosing lucene/solr over commercial
> (be it Fast or whatever)

We have a lot of case studies over at http://www.lucidimagination.com/, including several
that highlight replacements of the commercial players.

-Grant