lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: FieldCache memory estimation - term values are interned?
Date Sat, 01 May 2010 14:27:00 GMT
2010/4/30 Koji Sekiguchi <koji@r.email.ne.jp>:
> Are Strings that are got via FieldCache.DEFAULT.getStrings( reader,
> field ) interned?
>
> Since I have a requirement for having FieldCaches of some
> fields in 250M docs index, I'd like to estimate memory
> consumed by FieldCache.
>
> By looking at FieldCacheImpl source code, it seems that
> field names are interned, but values are not?

Values are not interned, but in a single field cache entry (String[])
the same String object is used for all docs with that same value.

But... I think StringIndex is more commonly used in both Lucene and
Solr than String[] (sorting, faceting, etc) so double check that it's
not StringIndex you should be looking at.

-Yonik
Apache Lucene Eurocon 2010
18-21 May 2010 | Prague