lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: NRT and Caching based on IndexReader
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 01:20:52 GMT
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Shay Banon <kimchy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just saw that you opened a case for that. I think that its important in your
> test case to also test for object identity, not just equals. This is because
> the IndexReader (or the FieldCacheKey) are used as keys in weak hash maps,
> which uses identity (==) equality for keys.

Yeah, just me being lazy... I just knew that those objects don't
implement equals and hence it ends up the same as ==.  But I agree an
explicit == would be better.

> If FieldCacheKey is supposed to represent the key by which index readers
> should be tested for "equality" (for example, it will be used in the
> CachingWrapperFilter), and not the index reader itself, then I think it
> should be renamed. What do you think? I am just looking now at what it does,
> its new...

I don't think it's general purpose, since it ignores things like a
change in deleted documents.  I think we should use the same reader
when the segment has not been changed.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com