lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Using JSON for index input and search output
Date Sun, 30 May 2010 18:38:33 GMT
On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Visual Logic <visual.logic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Solr is embeddable but does that not just mean that SolrJ only provides the ability to
call Solr running on some server?

Nope - embeddable as in running in the same JVM as your application.

> For some of my use cases using Solr on a remote server would work fine. For other cases
it will not be quick enough,

Running as a separate server can be on the same host and be very
quick.  Was it too slow when you tried it?
It's a common misconception that HTTP is slow... it's really just a
TCP socket (which can be reused with persistent connections) with some
standardized headers.  Solr also has a binary protocol that works just
fine over HTTP, so it's really not more overhead than doing something
like talking to a database.

But the right solution probably depends on the details of your
specific usecases - if you elaborate on them, people may be able to
provide more specific recommendations.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com