lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nigel <nigelspl...@gmail.com>
Subject Will doc ids ever change if nothing is deleted?
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 01:38:48 GMT
The FAQ clearly states that document IDs will not be re-assigned unless
something was deleted.
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#When_is_it_possible_for_document_IDs_to_change.3F

However, a number of other emails and posts I've read mention that
renumbering occurs when segments are merged.  Maybe what people mean
is simply that when something is deleted, nothing is immediately renumbered,
and it's not until merge time that the renumbering happens.  (This is my
understanding of how it works.)

Just so I'm 100% clear, if I never delete anything, will the IDs ever
change?

Thanks,
Chris