lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Carl Austin" <Carl.aus...@detica.com>
Subject FieldCache and 2.9
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 13:27:31 GMT
Hi,

I have been using the FieldCache in lucene version 2.9 compared to that
in 2.4. The load time is massively decreased, however I am not seeing
any benefit in getting a field cache after re-open of an index reader
when I have only added a few extra documents.
A small test class is included below (based off one from Lucid
Imagination), that creates 5Mil docs, gets a field cache, creates
another few docs and gets the field cache again. I though the second get
would be very very fast, as only 1 segment should have changed, however
it takes more time for the reopen and cache get than it did the
original.

Am I doing something wrong here or have I misunderstood the new segment
changes?

Thanks

Carl

import java.io.File;

import org.apache.lucene.analysis.SimpleAnalyzer;
import org.apache.lucene.search.FieldCache;
import org.apache.lucene.store.Directory;
import org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory;

public class ContrivedFCTest {

		Directory dir = FSDirectory.open(new File(args[0]));
		IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(dir, new
SimpleAnalyzer(), true,
				IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.LIMITED);
		for (int i = 0; i < 5000000; i++) {
			if (i % 100000 == 0) {
				System.out.println(i);
			}
			Document doc = new Document();
			doc.add(new Field("field", "String" + i,
Field.Store.NO,
					Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED));
			writer.addDocument(doc);
		}
		writer.close();

		IndexReader reader = IndexReader.open(dir, true);
		FieldCache.DEFAULT.getStrings(reader, "field");
		long end = System.currentTimeMillis();
		System.out.println("load time for initial field cache:"
+ (end - start)
				/ 1000.0f + "s");

		writer = new IndexWriter(dir, new SimpleAnalyzer(),
false,
				IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.LIMITED);
		for (int i = 5000001; i < 5000005; i++) {
			if (i % 100000 == 0) {
				System.out.println(i);
			}
			Document doc = new Document();
			doc.add(new Field("field", "String" + i,
Field.Store.NO,
					Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED));
			writer.addDocument(doc);
		}
		writer.close();

		IndexReader reader2 = reader.reopen(true);
		System.out.println("reader size = " +
reader2.numDocs());
		long start2 = System.currentTimeMillis();
		FieldCache.DEFAULT.getStrings(reader2, "field");
		long end2 = System.currentTimeMillis();
		System.out.println("load time for re-opened field
cache:"
				+ (end2 - start2) / 1000.0f + "s");
	}
}

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorised
signatory.  The contents of this email may relate to dealings with other companies within
the Detica Limited group of companies.

Detica Limited is registered in England under No: 1337451.

Registered offices: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP, England.