lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From kannan chandrasekaran <ckanna...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to get the number of unique terms in the inverted index
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 21:01:16 GMT
Hi Yonik,

Thanks for the quick response. I am curious as to why this is not supported whereas the numdocs()
is supported ? Even in the upcoming version its only supported per segment and not across
the index,  why ? Is it difficult to implement efficiently ?

Pardon my ignorance if I am missing something thats very obvious...

Thanks
Kannan

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM, kannan chandrasekaran
<ckannanck@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was wondering �if there is a way to retrieve the number of unique terms in the lucene
( version 2.4.0) ... I am aware of the terms() && terms(Term) method that returns
an enumeration (TermEnum) but that involves iterating through the terms and couting them.
�I looking for something similar to numdocs() in the IndexReader class.

No there is not.
In 4.0-dev, with the new "flex" APIs, you can retrieve the number of
unique terms in a single segment (Terms.getUniqueTermCount()), but not
a whole index.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com