lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Maduranga Kannangara <mkannang...@infomedia.com.au>
Subject Deciding memory requirements for Lucene indexes proactively -- How to?
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 01:13:39 GMT
Hi guys

Is there a way (perhaps a formulae) to accurately
judge  the memory requirement for a Lucene index?
(May be based on number of documents or index
size etc?)

Reason I am asking is that we had two indexes
running on separate Tomcat instances and we decided
to move both these webapps (Solr) to a single Tomcat
for effective memory sharing. However our JVM
memory allocation was not accurate enough and the
Indexes started running OutOfMemory errors on
our production environment.

It would be much helpful if we can identify the
requirement for resources pro-actively.

Any help on the matter much appreciated.

We use: Solr 1.4, Java 1.6.0_20

Thanks in advance

Madu