lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malo...@knipp.de>
Subject spatial searches
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 13:18:15 GMT

Hi all,

I hope someone can enlighten me. I am trying to figure out how spatial searches
are to be implemented with Lucene. From walking through mailing lists and
various web pages, looking at the JavaDoc and source code, I understand how the
tiers work and how the search is limited by a special term query containing the
ID(s) of the relevant grid cells.

However, it still puzzles me how, where and when the final distance filtering
takes place. I see three possibilities: the "Filter" class, the
"ValueSourceQuery" or the use of a subclass of "Collector". With my limited
understanding of the inner working of Lucene, it seems to me that the first two
ways more or less operate on the whole document set, i.e. prior to the moment
where the term query for the tiers comes into effect, rendering it useless. The
"Collector" approach seems to be much more appropriate, but additionally to the
decision whether the document meets the distance condition or not, I would like
to have different scores depending on the distance (lower score for larger
distances). Originally I thought that the solution would be some kind of
subclass of "Query", but haven't seen any hints pointing in this direction and I
don't know whether I am able to implement that on my own. I fear that I
completely misunderstand something. Thanks in advance for any hints.

Regards,

Klaus