lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Woolf, Ross" <Ross_Wo...@BMC.com>
Subject RE: IndexWriter and memory usage
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 16:50:41 GMT
Just wanted to report that Michael was able to find the issue that was plaguing us, He has
checked fixes into the 2.9.x, 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 4.0.x branches.  Most of the issues were related
to indexing documents larger than the indexing buffer size (16mb by default).  Now we no longer
run out of memory during our large document indexing runs.

Thanks for your help Michael in resolving this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McCandless [mailto:lucene@mikemccandless.com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 11:23 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: IndexWriter and memory usage

The patch looks correct.

The 16 MB RAM buffer means the sum of the shared char[], byte[] and
PostingList/RawPostingList memory will be kept under 16 MB.  There are
definitely other things that require memory beyond this -- eg during a
segment merge, SegmentReaders are opened for each segment being
merged.  Also, if there are pending deletions, 4 bytes per doc is
allocated.

Applying deletions also opens SegmentReaders.

Also: a single very large document will cause IW to blow way past the
16 MB limit, using up as much as is required to index that one doc.
When that doc is finished, it will then flush and free objects until
it's back under the 16 MB limit.  If several threads happen to index
large docs at the same time, the problem is that much worse (they all
must finish before IW can flush).

Can you print the size of the documents you're indexing and see if
that correlates to when you see the memory growth?

Mike

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Woolf, Ross <Ross_Woolf@bmc.com> wrote:
> Still working on some of the things you ask, namely searching without indexing.  I need
to modify our code and the general indexing process takes 2 hours, so I won't have a quick
turn around on that.  We also have a hard time answering the question about items that are
normal but do they use more than the 16 MB.  The heap dump does not allow us to quickly identify
specifics on objects like we show in images below, so we really don't know what the amount
of memory is used up in objects of this sort.  We only know that byte[] total for all is
at 197891887.

> However, I have provided another image that breaks down the memory usage from the heap.
  A big question we have is that we talk about the 16 mb buffer, but is there other memory
used by Lucene beyond that that we should expect to see?

> http://i39.tinypic.com/o0o560.jpg
>
> we have 197891887 used in byte[] (anyone we look at is related in some way to the index
writer)
> we have 169263904 used in char[] (these are related to the index writer too)
> we have 72658944 used in FreqProxTermsWriter$PostingList
> we have 37722668 used in RawPostingList[]
>
> All of these are well over the 16mb.  So we are a little lost as to what we should expect
to see when we look at the memory usage

> I've attached the patch and the CheckIndex files.  Unfortunately on the patch I guess
my editor made some space line changes, so you get a lot of extra items in the patch that
really are not any changes other than tab/space.

> If you are open to a live share again, then maybe you could look at this data quicker
than the screen shots I send.

the situation but we are still seeing some memory loss.  The following are some images from
the heap dump.  I'll share with you what we are seeing now.

>> This first image shows the memory pattern.  Our fist commit takes place at about
3:54 when the steady trend up takes a drop and the new cycle begins.   What we have found
is the 2422 fix has made the memory in the first phase before the commit much better (and
I'm sure throughout the entire run).  But as you can see after the commit then we then again
begin to lose memory.  One of the pieces of info to know about this is what you are seeing,
we have 5 threads that are pushing data to our Lucene plugin.  If we drop it down to 1 thread
then we are much more successful and can actually index all of our data without running out
of memory but at 5 threads it gets into trouble.  We still see a trend up in memory usage,
but not as severe as when we use the multiple threads.
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2w6bf68&s=5
>
> Can you post the output of "svn diff" on the 2.9 code base you're
> using?  I just want to look & verify all issues we've discussed are
> included in your changes.  The fact that 1 thread is fine and 5
> threads are not still sounds like a symptom of LUCENE-2283.
>
> Also, does that heap usage graph exclude garbage?  Or, alternatively,
> can you provoke an OOME w/ 512 MB heap and then capture the heap dump
> at that point?
>
>> There is another piece of the picture that I think might be coming into play.  We
have plugged Lucene into a legacy app and are subject to how we can get it to deliver the
data that we are indexing.  In some scenarios (like the one we are having this problem with)
we are building our documents progressively (adding fields to the document through the process).
 What you see before the first commit is the legacy system handing us the first field for
many documents. Once we have gotten all of "field 1" for all documents then we commit that
data into the index.  Then the system starts feeding us "field 2."  So we perform a search
to see if the document already exists (for the scenario you are seeing it does) and so it
retrieves the original document (we store a document ID) and it then adds the new field of
data to the existing document and we "update" the document in the index.  After the first
commit, the rest of the process is one where a document already exist and so the new field
is added and and the document is updated.  It is in this process that we start rapidly losing
memory.  The following images show some examples of common areas where memory is being held.

>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11vkwnb&s=5
>
> This looks like "normal" memory usage of IndexWriter -- these are the
> recycled buffers used for holding stored fields.  However: the net RAM
> used by this allocation should not exceed your 16 MB IW ram buffer
> size -- does it?
>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=abq9fp&s=5
>
> This one is the byte[] buffer used by CompoundFileReader, opened by
> IndexReader.  It's odd that you have so many of these (if I'm reading
> this correctly) -- are you certain all opened readers are being
> closed?  How many segments do you have in your index?  Or... are there
> many unique threads doing the searching?  EG do you create a new
> thread for every search or update?
>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25pskyp&s=5
>
> This one is also normal memory used by IndexWriter, but as above, the
> net RAM used by this allocation (summed w/ the above one) should not
> exceed your 16 MB IW ram buffer size.
>
>> As mentioned, we are subject to how we can have the legacy app feed us the data and
so this is why we do it this way.  We treat this system as a real time system and at anytime
the legacy system may send us a field that needs to be added or updated to a document.  So
we search for the document and if found we either add or update a field if the field is already
existing in the document.  So I started to wonder if a clue in this memory loss comes from
the fact that we are retrieving an existing document and then adding to it and updating.

>> Now, if we eliminate the updating and simply add each item as a new document (which
we did just to test but won't be adequate for our running system), then we still see a slight
trend upward in memory usage and the following images show that now most of the  memory is
consumed in char[] rather than the byte[] we saw before.  We don't know if this is normal
and expected, or if it is something to be concerned about as well.