lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tomislav Poljak <>
Subject TermsFilter instead of "should" TermQueries
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 17:19:26 GMT
in API documentation for TermsFilter:

it states:

'As a filter, this is much faster than the equivalent query (a
BooleanQuery with many "should" TermQueries)'

I would like to replace "should" TermQueries with TermsFilter to benefit
in performance, but I'm trying to understand how this change/switch can

I was under the impression that the BooleanQuery with many "should"
TermQueries affects scoring like: each "should" term present in result,
increases the result's score.

If someone could explain how can a TermsFilter (which is like any filter
a binary thing - result document is matched or not) be used to replace
should clauses, I would really appreciate it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message