lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Will Johnson <willjohnsonsea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Challenge - sum, count, avg, etc.
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:43:48 GMT
Hi Michel,

You can do all of this with Lucene however not with a standard index/query
operators.  At Attivio we have a custom Lucene index structure + custom
query operators that support relational joins across records in an index.  You
can write the queries in our standard query language or run actual SQL.  All
of this is done without pre-computing or flattening records as that prevents
you from having query flexibility at runtime, ie what happens when you want
to know something that isn’t pre-computed/pre-flattened?

If you look at the demo at the bottom of this page
http://www.attivio.com/active-intelligence/aie-demo.html  you can see how we
index and query against both news articles and baseball statistics from a
relational database.  For example you can do something like this with the
baseball data:

select sum(RBI), teamID, yearID

from master m join batting b

on m."playerID" = b.playerID

where b.yearID > '2004'

group by yearID,teamID

order by yearID,teamID

We support min, max, avg and a number of other aggregate functions along
with true full-text search.  Another article you might check out is here:
http://www.attivio.com/blog/55-industry-insights/507-can-a-search-engine-replace-a-relational-database.html
.  So far we're getting some pretty good results competing with databases
and data warehouses on raw performance (at customer sites) even without the
full text search capabilities mixed in.  Once you start adding in 'fuzzy'
joins, relevancy, proximity and all the other boolean query logic, we start
to pull ahead even further.

If you want to learn more drop me a line.  We'll be demonstrating all this
stuff (and more) at Enterprise Search Summit (ESS) in New York this coming
May.

- will@attivio.com