lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: Exception in thread "Lucene Merge Thread #3" MergePolicy$MergeException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:23:27 GMT
The traceback is truncated?

Still, this looks like your filesystem (and, specifically at least one
of the files it's holding for Lucene) is corrupted -- Lucene was
trying to read bytes from a file, in order to merge segments, and the
OS/IO system threw that exception.

You should run CheckIndex (which should detect & describe the
corruption), and then try to recover the index by re-running
CheckIndex with -fix.  But, more importantly, you need to figure out
why your filesystem has developed corruption because it will likely
happen again!

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:31 AM, liat oren <> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I got the following error while trying to optimize index sized 31 GB:
> Exception in thread "Lucene Merge Thread #3"
> P.Lucene.Expert.index.MergePolicy$MergeException: Data
> error (cyclic redundancy check)
>        at
> P.Lucene.Expert.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler.handleMergeException(
>        at
> P.Lucene.Expert.index.ConcurrentMergeScheduler$
> Caused by: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
>        at Method)
>        at
>        at$FSIndexInput
> When could be the problem here?
> Since it threw the application, the index stayed open. Is there a
> possibility to close it properly? to save the data?
> Many thanks,
> Liat

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: