lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Vijay Veeraraghavan <vijay.raghava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using lucene in NFS
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:01:54 GMT
hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply. I am using the Lucene core 3.0 version. The
index created will be accessed by the web application. The web
application contains 4 nodes, clustered. What if all the nodes access
the index. I think no any prob may raise.
If i have a local index then what about it in the clustered environment?
The NFS given is working good for saving the report, but only while i
start the indexing the app freezes. it creates a lock file, i cant see
whats happening inside as i cant see my console outputs too.
And i have once more question. How do u update the index. As my
scheduler keeps producing more reports to the file server, the index
need to be updated then and there. how do i update the new report
files to the index than doing again all the files. Or can i create a
local index of the newly created reports and join this with the old
index? any other professional solution?

Thanks
Vijay

On 4/30/10, Ian Lea <ian.lea@gmail.com> wrote:
> You don't say what version of lucene you are using, but in recent
> versions you may need to use SimpleFSLockFactory rather than the
> default, NativeFSLockFactory.  See the javadocs.  Lucene in general
> does work on NFS but there can be problems, particularly with
> concurrent access from multiple servers.
>
> But your problem sounds different.  Does the NFS mount work properly
> for non-lucene operations?  Or maybe you could maintain a copy of the
> index on local disks and just copy it to NFS for access from other
> servers.  Lucene locking should take care of locking the index when
> updates are running.
>

> --
> Ian.
>

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Vijay Veeraraghavan
> <vijay.raghavan08@gmail.com> wrote:
>> dear all,
>>
>> I have a problem using lucene in NFS. A scheduler runs periodically
>> generating reports in pdf format and saves it to a file server. The
>> drive of the file server is mounted  to the scheduler server (NFS).
>> After generating reports finally the scheduler indexes the names of
>> the report and its path. This index is also stored to the same context
>> folder the reports are created, ie., mounted NFS folder. When i create
>> index in the local system (JFS2) its as fast as possible. (the local
>> system is AIX uses jfs2.) But in the NFS folder it keep doing and
>> doing... i didnt exactly know what happened inside. little later the
>> application freezed.I saw some lock files created inside the folder
>> but nothing like index files that usually created by the lucene. from
>> the web page i search this index in nfs for the report and read it. My
>> question is how to use lucene in NFS. anything special we need to do?
>> any reference codes? docs? How do i lock the index when my scheduler
>> is updating the index?
>>
>> P.S: Please add CC to vijayv@kggroup.com
>>
>> Thanks
>> Vijay Veeraraghavan