lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Siraj Haider <si...@jobdiva.com>
Subject Re: WhitespaceAnalyzer and version
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:38:29 GMT
Hi Shai,

On 4/13/2010 1:41 AM, Shai Erera wrote:
> Hi
>
> WhitespaceAnalyzer definitely has a Version dependent ctor. What
> Lucene version do you use?
>
> You van use LUCENE_CURRENT but be aware that of a certain Analyzer's
> behavior has changed in a way that affects your app, you'll need to
> reindex your data. Usually an Analyzer (or any other Version-aware
> object) documents the differences between the versions. Some classes
> take Version as a placeholder for future changes, while not doing
> anything special w/ them st the moment.
>
> It is best, I think, if you stick w/ a specific version (like
> LUCENE_30) and change that before you plan to reindex your data.
> Otherwise, if you always reindex your stuff when upgrading Lucene,
> then LUCENE_CURRENT is probably good.
>
> Note also that some changes between versions may result on you
> updating your users (manual) about what to expext from searches.

Thanks for your comments.  Can you please explain more about why the
user might get something from searches that they are not expecting?
> Hope this helps,
> Shai
>
> On Tuesday, April 13, 2010, Siraj Haider<siraj@jobdiva.com>  wrote:
>
>> We are in the process of removing the deprecated api from our code to move to version.
 One of the deprecation is, the queryparser now expects a version parameter in the constructor.
 I also have read somewhere that we should pass the same version to analyzer when indexing
as wel as when searching.  We use WhitespaceAnalyzer and I am unable to find a constructor
with a version in it.

>> Another thing is, do we need to re-index if we want to supply Version.LUCENE_CURRENT
as the version? what are other implications?