lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Is it safe to use reopen on IndexReader
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:43:02 GMT
It's perfectly safe to .reopen a reader when other threads are using
that reader (eg, for searching, or for anything else).  The reopen
call doesn't affect the original reader in any way.

You should close the old reader when you're done (if indeed a new
reader was returned by .reopen), but if multiple threads may be using
it, you should use incRef/decRef to make sure the close only happens
when all threads are done.

That if check is necessary -- if the reader is unchanged (not
reopened) you shouldn't close the old one.

Mike