lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Monique Monteiro <monique.lou...@gmail.com>
Subject OutOfMemoryError
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:38:31 GMT
Hi all,

  I’m new to Lucene and I’m evaluating it in a web application which looks
up strings in a huge index – the index file contains 32GB. I keep a
reference to a Searcher object during the application’s lifetime, but this
object has strong memory requirements and keeps memory consumption around
950MB.  I did some optimization in order to share some fields in two
“composed” indices, but in a web application with less than 1GB for JVM,
OutOfMemoryError is generated. It seems that the searcher keeps some form of
cache which is not frequently released.

  I’d like to know if this kind of memory leak is normal according to
Lucene’s behaviour and if the only available solution is adding memory to
the JVM.

Thanks in advance!

--
Monique Monteiro, MSc