lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Justin <cry...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: File descriptor leak in ParallelReader.reopen()
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 00:16:34 GMT
Has this changed since 2.4.1?  Our application didn't explicitly close with 2.4.1 and that
combination never had this problem.

----- Original Message ----
From: Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thu, March 4, 2010 6:00:02 PM
Subject: Re: File descriptor leak in ParallelReader.reopen()

On 03/04/2010 06:52 PM, Justin wrote:
> Hi Mike and others,
>
> I have a test case for you (attached) that exhibits a file descriptor leak in ParallelReader.reopen().
 I listed the OS, JDK, and snapshot of Lucene that I'm using in the source code.

> A loop adds just over 4000 documents to an index, reopening the index after each, before
my system hits an already increased file descriptor limit of 8192.  I've also got a thread
that reports the number of documents in the index and warms a searcher using the reader.
To simulate continued use by my application the searchers are not discarded.

> Let me know if you need help reproducing the problem or can help identify it.
>
> Thanks!
> Justin

Doesn't look like you are closing your old reader - reopen will return a
new one when there are changes to the index and the old one must be closed.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com