lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Anshum <ansh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how lucene search works in memory
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:00:19 GMT
Hi Suman,
I couldn't find a link but talking about approaches to load an index into
memory would be :
1. Create a tmpfs partition and copy your index into the partition, open the
index reader/searcher from the tmpfs.
  * You would have to handle the copying/management of indexes in this case.
  * It is volatile i.e. would get wiped off in case the machine restarts.
  * Lets you create a partition of any size and therefore gives you
the flexibility to have an index of > 4G even in case of a 32 bit
machine/JVM architecture.
2. Use RAMFs, which would mean that the JVM copies the opened index onto its
memory(using and sharing the JVM's memory and address space)
  * Index management would reduce.
  * Index size would be limited to the maximum address space available to
the JVM process (In case of a 32 bit machine, it'd be 4G)
  * Would get wiped off when JVM goes off (Not affecting the Disk copy in
any manner though)

--
Anshum Gupta
Naukri Labs!