lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nigel <nigelspl...@gmail.com>
Subject Fields with cardinality = 1?
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:49:17 GMT
Does Lucene have any special optimization for a field that has the same
value for all documents in the index?  For example, rather than storing a
list of all doc ids for the single term, it could in theory note this
special case and not save any ids for that field.

(You might well ask what the point of doing this is, anyway.  In my case, I
have a collection of index shards, and all documents within one shard would
have the same value for one field.  I could simply omit that field, but then
queries referring to that field wouldn't work, unless the queries were
automatically rewritten somehow to remove references to the field that's
assumed to be present.  If this case is optimized somehow, then I can
include the field without taking up any space in the index.  If it's not
optimized, then it might be worth omitting the field and rewriting the
queries instead.)

Thanks,
Chris