lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Mercier <>
Subject Re: BooleanQuery and SpanQuery : how to get « combined » spans?
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:34:20 GMT
Thank you Grant.  I will try your suggested approach. It confirms to me
that I wasn't lost too much;-)

Grant Ingersoll a écrit :
> On Mar 23, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Benoit Mercier wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would like to write a query composed of a BooleanQuery (several clauses) and a
SpanQuery (SpanNearQuery),  where both are mandatory.  Sounds simple but I have to work on
spans returned by this query.
>> I know that I could use a Filter, but my goal is to get the spans from the « combined
» query : BooleanQuery + SpanQuery.  Even if I filter my BooleanQuery with the SpanQuery,
spans returned by the SpanQuery.getSpans(reader) are not « filtered » by the BooleanQuery.
 Since executing the query is not needed to get spans from a SpanQuery I understand this behaviour.
>> My current implementation first runs the BooleanQuery filtered by the SpanQuery.
 I then get the spans from the SpanQuery and remove from them all docs that are not in the
score docs returned by the filtered BooleanQuery. Is there a more efficient, simple or clever
way to reach the same goal?
>> Thank you very much in advance for your advices.
> If you are 3.x:
> I think maybe you could reverse this around.  Get a filter from your BooleanQuery and
get the DocIdSet and then advance through the Spans and the DocIdSetIterator, as they will
both be forward facing.  For each span, check to see whether that doc is in the filter or
> In 2.x, I think on the filter you can get the BitSet and then just directly look up to
see if the current span is in the bit set.