lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rene Hackl-Sommer <rene.a.ha...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: "Deleting" documents without deleting them
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:45:24 GMT
Hi Daniel,

Unless you have only a few documents and a small index, I don't think
never calling optimize is going to be a means you should rely upon.

What about if you reindexed the documents you are deleting, adding a
field <excludeFromSearch> with the value "true"? This would imply that
either

1) all fields are stored, so you may retrieve them from the original doc
and add them to the new one plus the exclusion field
2) or if a lot of fields are only indexed you'd need access to the
original source. (With limitations it is also possible to reconstruct a
field from indexed data only, but not generally recommendable)

During search, just add "NOT excludeFromSearch:true" to the query.

If you need to keep track of which versions belong together, you may
need to think about how you uniquely identify documents, how this
changes between versions, and if the update dates might be of any help.

Cheers
Rene