lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rene Hackl-Sommer <rene.a.ha...@gmx.de>
Subject Increase number of available positions?
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:03:26 GMT
Hello,

I am working at a use case that is very demanding regarding the number
of token positions. For one special field in the index, I need to
represent different hierarchy levels, like this:

<MyField>
<Level_1>
<Level_2>
<Level_3>

Please note that I need to do this with Lucene, not a XML search engine.

Now, on Level_3 there a hundreds of tokens, Level_2 also has hundreds of
entries and Level_1 is in there with a low 3-digit figure. For those who
wish to know: this is an intricate system of chemical entities and some
their properties.

I need this information to be searchable in all conceivable ways. What I
am doing right now is use position increment gaps to separate the Levels
and search with SpanQueries. It works like a charm for a setup with
limited entries. But Integer.MAX_VALUE poses a cap on the approach, of
course. Would it be thinkable to replace the current integer counting
system with a long based system? What issues should I consider?

Thanks,
Rene