lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: SpanQueries in Luke
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:11:12 GMT
On 2010-03-05 11:22, mark harwood wrote:
>>> I'll commit the current mostly-working state today, you can take a look
>
> OK. However I think this XMLQueryParser addition will only resurface a long-standing
issue with Luke and Lucene in general.
> This query parser works best on multiple fields (e.g. free-text<UserQuery>  tags
and<TermsFilter>  on structured fields). Each field typically requires different analyzers
and there is currently no way of recording this information as metadata alongside an index.
> Without this metadata each user's Luke session starts with a game of "guess-which-analyzer-to-use?"

I guess ;) that generally speaking there is no good answer to this - the
same token stream could have been produced by varying analysis chains,
even across indexing sessions that append to the same index.

> I use my own proprietary system for storing such index metadata and this is through an
XML file that contains a BeanEncoder-serialized PerFieldAnalyserWrapper among other things.
> It would be nice to see some standardisation in how this information can be made available
in *any* Lucene index but I guess this overlaps with things like Solr's config.

Yes.

Theoretically one could store such information in
IndexCommit.getUserData(). The lack of standardized metadata is an
issue, of course - we could start experimenting with this in Luke, to
see whether we can squeeze a subset of Solr schema there.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><