lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Laux <>
Subject memory management style
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:18:42 GMT
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right list, as it's sort of a development
question too, but I don't want to bother them over there. Anyway, I'm
curious as to the reason for using "manual memory management" a la
ByteBlockPool and consorts in Java. Is it for performance reasons
alone, to avoid the allocation and garbage collection of many small
objects or is there some residue of C-style thinking in the early

Even then, shouldn't there be a more Java-ish solution using the
existing streams classes? Would that be the way to go if one started
over? I realize this is not very realistic, I'm asking out of

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message