lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <>
Subject Re: InstantiatedIndex performance
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:18:46 GMT

31 mar 2010 kl. 10.21 skrev Michael Stoppelman:

> I was wondering why the InstantiatedIndex gets very slow as the
> number of
> documents increases in the index. I've been looking at the source
> and have
> only found comments saying "it's slow" when the index is big but not
> why. Do
> folks just run out of memory or something deeper?

I think the main reason is that the time saved by not deserializing
data from the store at some point point fades to the time complexity
of executing a binary searches for document numbers associated to a
term. I've never seen it act slower than RAMDirectory though.

Perhaps the binary search could be made more efficient by adding more
indices (maps) but would probably consume a lot more memory.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message