lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Searching Subversion comments:
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 21:30:03 GMT
Hi Otis!

Your examples look JIRA-centric, not code-centric. Frankly I'm not
sure there's a difference for my use-case, but....

Let's say I want to answer the question "what source files were
changed for JIRA-1234". Currently I'd have to open up the JIRA and
collate all the changed files by opening the patches, writing down the
file names and making a list. Given the number of patches sometimes
attached, that looks like it can get tedious.

Either the committers have run across this many times and cursed
every time or there's *already* a way to handle it....

The link in my original mail allegedly lets me query on such a thing. As
well as the source code with full Lucene syntax. Of course, answering
the question I posed above depends on the fidelity of the SVN comments
at commit time...

You can always to a grep of the source code for stuff *in* the source
but not with full Lucene syntax, and not in the SVN comments. And I've run
into a similar situation at work, so I'd be gathering information for there
too.

I'm not wedded to the idea, but I'd be willing to devote some time to it
if others thought it *might* be useful. I'd imagine a proof-of-concept hack,
one of the outcomes of which is "interesting, but not worth the
maintenance",
or "utterly and completely useless in our situation", or "Why the heck
didn't
we have this ages ago?". But I don't even want  to do a POC if there's
already a mechanism that people like. I just hate manual collation....

Although I have the vision of *this* group saying "we could improve that,
where's the source code?"....

Erick

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com