lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: SpanQueries in Luke
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:22:36 GMT
>>I'll commit the current mostly-working state today, you can take a look

OK. However I think this XMLQueryParser addition will only resurface a long-standing issue
with Luke and Lucene in general.
This query parser works best on multiple fields (e.g. free-text <UserQuery> tags and
<TermsFilter> on structured fields). Each field typically requires different analyzers
and there is currently no way of recording this information as metadata alongside an index.
Without this metadata each user's Luke session starts with a game of "guess-which-analyzer-to-use?"

I use my own proprietary system for storing such index metadata and this is through an XML
file that contains a BeanEncoder-serialized PerFieldAnalyserWrapper among other things.
It would be nice to see some standardisation in how this information can be made available
in *any* Lucene index but I guess this overlaps with things like Solr's config.

Cheers,
Mark