lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: Release of Lucene Java 3.0.1 and 2.9.2
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:50:14 GMT
That would be more natural/convenient, but it'd unfortunately defeat
the whole reason Version was added in the first place.

By making Version required, we force callers to be explicit to Lucene
about what level of back compat is required.

This then enables Lucene to improve its defaults with each release,
without breaking users that need to keep backwards compatibility.

Mike

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Johannes Zillmann
<jzillmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Just one thought...
>
> For me it would be natural to be never confronted with the Version.xx thing in the api
unless you really need.
> so f.e. having
>        new QueryParser("", new KeywordAnalyzer()).parse("content: the");
> as a default (probably using Version.LUCENE_CURRENT under the hood), but having
>        new QueryParser(Version.XXX,"", new KeywordAnalyzer()).parse("content: the");
> as well.
>
> Of cause this would require a lot of method/constructor overloading, but would make the
api more user friendly for those who write some code where the version don't matter...
> Johannes
>
> On Feb 26, 2010, at 11:27 AM, Paul Taylor wrote:
>
>> Robert Muir wrote:
>>> such projects can do this, in one place:
>>>
>>> public static final Version MY_APP_CURRENT = Version.LUCENE_30;
>>>
>>> then later....
>>>
>>> StandardAnalyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer(MY_APP_CURRENT);
>>>
>>> then they have complete control of this, independent of when the upgrade lucene's
jar file!
>> Not quite true because you still need to update MY_APP_CURRENT when there is a new
version, but yes thats more mangeable