lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: problem:lucene did not delete old index file after optimize method called
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:58:12 GMT
This happens, on Windows, when there is an IndexReader still reading
those files.  IndexWriter will periodically (after a merge completes
or a new segment is flushed) retry deleting those files, but it won't
succeed until no reader has a given file open anymore.

IW also deletes unreferenced files when it's first opened.  So if you
want to force it to try to delete, close your current IW and open a
new one (with create=false).

Mike