lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Glen Newton <glen.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: If you could have one feature in Lucene...
Date Sat, 27 Feb 2010 15:03:51 GMT
Pluggable compression allowing for alternatives to gzip for text
compression for storing.
Specifically I am interested in bzip2[1] as implemented in Apache
Commons Compress[2].
While bzip2 compression is considerable slower than gzip (although
decompression is not too much slower than gzip) it compresses much
better than gzip (especially text).

Having the choice would be helpful, and for Lucene usage for non-text
indexing, content specific compression algorithms may outperform the
default gzip.

And in these days of multi-core / multi-threading, perhaps we could
convince the Apache Commons Compress team to implement a parallel Java
version of bzip2 compression (theirs is single threaded), like
pbzip2[3].

-glen

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bzip2
[2]http://commons.apache.org/compress/