lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lu <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query about Query.ToString()
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:05:01 GMT
It's great that this is supported. I have 3 questions:

1) XML query parser just focuses on the "difficult" queries, left the
"simple" ones to the standard query parser.
I think it'll be good to support all of the queries. Makes it easier to
implement, rather than combine two different parser together.
2) Another side point is the lack of examples in the Javadoc. Currently
I need to dig into the unit test part to find some examples.
3) Can this be "standardized" into Lucene trunk? Is it possible to
support other serialization forms, like google protocol buffer?
Hopefully I only need to serialize it via query.toXML() or
query.toBytes()  and the parser can recognize the serialized forms.

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

Mark Harwood wrote:
> Yes it is being maintained and I have it in production on many large systems.
> Phrase prefix wildcard etc can be supported using the "UserQuery" tag which hands off
to the regular Lucene QueryParser. It would be easy to add XML tags for these types but these
clauses tend to be provided by users anyway as part of free-text fields. The other XML syntax
tends to be useful for capturing all the other structured input eg date ranges, checkboxes
etc as filters or caches filters.
> I intend to give it a 3.0 refresh to add geo etc soon
> ---------------------------------------
>
> On 18 Feb 2010, at 02:12, Chris Lu <chris.lu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> XMLQueryParser is pretty good start. However, is it being maintained recently?
>
> I noticed many Query class are not supported, like PrefixQuery, or even PhraseQuery.
> Is it for some particular reason or simply lack of resource?
>
> --
> Chris Lu
> -------------------------
> site: http://www.dbsight.net
> demo: http://search.dbsight.com
> Lucene Database Search in 3 minutes: http://wiki.dbsight.com/index.php?title=Create_Lucene_Database_Search_in_3_minutes
> DBSight customer, a shopping comparison site, (anonymous per request) got 2.6 Million
Euro funding!

> Mark Harwood wrote:
> This was part of the rationale for creating the XMLQueryParser which can be found in
contrib.

> See here for the background: http://marc.info/?l=lucene-dev&m=113355526731460&w=2
>

> On 17 Feb 2010, at 18:44, Aaron Schon wrote:
>

> Hi all, I know that persisting a Lucene query by query ToString() method. Is there any
way of reconstructing the query from the string itself?
> The usecase is that I will be storing a library of queries as strings and load the appropriate
query (from the string) based on some conditions.