lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael van Rooyen <mich...@loot.co.za>
Subject Re: java.io.IOException: read past EOF since migration to 2.9.1
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 05:41:25 GMT

> Toke Eskildsen wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 15:18 +0100, Michael van Rooyen wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded from version 2.3.2 to 2.9.1. [...]
>>> Since going live a few days ago, however, we've twice had read past
>>> EOF exceptions.
>>
>> The first thing to do is check the Java version. If you're using Sun JRE
>> 1.6.0, you might have encountered a nasty bug in the JVM:
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1282
> We're still using 1.5.0_06, and have been using it for ages.  When
> doing these kind of updates, I tend to change only one component at a
> time.  In this case, all our code and the JVM stayed the same and all
> that changed was Lucene 2.3.2 to 2.9.1, then the EOF errors started
> occurring...

Just looking at that bug report, the links provided show that those
errors occurred with Lucene 2.3.x on JRE 1.6.0.  If it were that JRE bug
causing the EOF problem, I would have expected to get errors while we
were using 2.3.2, but we used that for over a year on the same JVM
(1.5.0_06) without a single error.

What's interesting is that whatever error was in the index will
disappear once the faulty segment is merged in the next cycle, so it's
quite possible (and perhaps likely in a heavily updated index) that by
the time the index is checked, the corruption will be gone.  In this
case, it may be reported as an EOF exception on a good index, and I've
seen a few of those in the mail archives.  I suspect that if the merge
process were more pedantic in not merging segments unless they are
completely without error (including the deleted docs counts), then a lot
more users might start encountering this problem.