lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Goddard, Michael J." <MICHAEL.J.GODD...@saic.com>
Subject RE: Query about Query.ToString()
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:59:56 GMT
I recently had the same need, for a utility to get me from the Query toString() output back
to the Java code to construct that specific query in Lucene.  The reason for my interest is
that our query syntax differs significantly from the standard Lucene query syntax, so having
something like this would be useful.

If I build it, I'll post it (but I'm currently doing this all by hand so I can post some questions
to this list, so I probably won't).

  Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: java-user-return-45057-MICHAEL.J.GODDARD=saic.com@lucene.apache.org on behalf of Erick
Erickson
Sent: Wed 2/17/2010 1:55 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Query about Query.ToString()

Well, Query *does* implement the Serializable interface, so that
might work. WARNING: I haven't personally used the Serializable
interface on Query, so I have no real clue whether it's applicable!

Taking the results of query.toString() and pumping it back through
the parser is not guaranteed to produce an equivalent query though.

But if you're creating a library of queries, why not just code up the
queries
as strings and store/reuse those?

I'd think about forming a query that I can send through the query parsing,
then storing that string for later reuse (i.e. the string you parsed). This
has
problems if you're constructing the query programatically (say assembling
a BooleanQuery in the lucene code) though.

not much help I know
Erick